Wax on Wednesdays Painting Encaustic Christmas Cards in the Studio

 This week I had a very special visit from my BFF Paula all the way from Boston. 
We had a wonderful time creating encaustic Christmas Cards and snacking on her famous shortbread cookies and hot cocoa in the studio. 

We painted fun abstract winter backgrounds with watercolor and gouache on Arches watercolor paper. They each had a couple of coats of encaustic to prepare them for a fun tree line laser photo transfer. 
I love using paper with encaustic and watching that magical moment when the paper becomes majestically translucent as it absorbs the encaustic wax into it's  fibers. Each type of paper reacts differently . 



I am not really a glitter person when I am painting, but the card frame needed something more. I had some encaustic hand painted rice papers I had done a while back and they just happened to match the color palette perfectly ! I left the beautiful torn edge of the rice paper at the bottom of the card. I  love the contrast  all of the wonderful fiber texture that you can still feel and see  in the rice paper vs. the glossy winter scene inside . 


What a beautiful winter morning with friends !

Step by step instructions of encaustic watercolor landscapes with laser photo transfers  are in "Encausticoogy 101 Online Workshop" !
click on the photo below to see all of the details for the workshop on sharirepogle.com


Supplies I used this week:








If you would like to see the video directly on the Youtube channel 

You can join in the Wax on Wednesdays Project group at any time on FB . Click here on photo below for subscription details .
All new workshop "Encausticology Wax and Symbolism a Study in Encaustic Sculpture" registration now open ! 
Workshop begins Feb 12. Click on photo below for details 

Blessings to you,
Shari 


Popular Posts