Feb 3, 2010

Studio Du-Dads

This is my newest arriving batch of my favorite antique salvaged German doll heads.
This is the pile I unwrapped , before they all got sorted according to size, and hair color (Reagan has a thing for the blond ones). and put into glass jars. I will be sharing some of these on my Etsy store, because there are several hundred in this batch alone, and my jars are currently overflowing!

Here are just a few photos of the abandoned doll factory in Germany that this particular batch of hand painted beauties came from.

They look so quiet an serene , not at all like you would picture even a factory as old as this.
The tunnels they have to dig to get them out.

At one time this room must have been full of hustle and bustle. A business thriving from the dawn of the industrial revolution, molding and hand painting thousands of lovely dolls for children everywhere.
These were never to see their ultimate destination of a child's hand however. They were considered "seconds' because of a flaw in the paint ,mold flaw,broken, etc.
Buried Treasure!!!I am so glad that after a century, they have been unearthed for another generation to enjoy them. I myself appreciate the quality that went in to even what they would have considered "flawed".

"Nothing that grieves can be called little;by the eternal laws of proportion a child's loss of a doll and a king's loss of a crown are events of the same size." Mark Twain



Reagan and I are so excited about the new Disney/ Tim Bu
rton Alice movie . We have been waiting so long ,we can hardly stand it!

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That is one of my favorite posts of all time. I have a collection of these little beauties myself, but nothing at all like your wonderful collection. I will have to go and check our your shop! I love all of the photographs of the old buildings and treasures. Wish I could have experienced that. Thanks for the great visit! Rhonda...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are fantastic!!! Isn't it amazing that they just buried all these treasures. You know what they say...One mans junk, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos of the factory. I have heard the stories but it is really cool to see the photos too. LOVE your Alice dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh..my hands over my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am enjoying my visit this morning. I had never seen photos of the factories...very interesting to see where they are getting them all. I would love to see your jars and studio.
    Love your work and blog.
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much.
Thanks for visiting with me:)